Monday, March 7, 2011

Lisa Praying to Buddha


I decided to use this very short clip from the Simpson's. I had a little difficulty finding something that could really show a sterotype of buddhism, and although this clip is short, I feel that it does actually show the stereotype since she first states that she is aware that she should not be asking for anything. It is to give the idea that people are not meant to ask/want material things. I think this is a very common sterotype associated in Buddhism, and how it is important to detach ones self from material things. I feel that this is supported by what Brad Warner writes when he says " Right livelihood is not restricted to a certain set of approved ways of making a living" (12). I think this can relate to the short Simpson clip because I don't feel that there is necessarily one way to do things, and Lisa is just assuming that she is not suppose to want anything. I'm sure that the Simpson's was a common choice, but I definately feel that it is a good representation of Buddha in the media since it is a very popular show, and I feel that people who know very little about Buddhism would quickly assume that what Lisa is saying is the truth. " Plenty of folks still make a bundle by playing the role of the spiritual superman" (xii). I feel that by Lisa praying to Buddha directly, it shows that she is not relying on a spiritual teacher of any kind, but instead she is directly trying to establish a relationship with Buddha.  

Warner,Brad." Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate" New World Library, 2009

3 comments:

  1. I too had a bit of difficulty finding something that I considered a stereotype when I was searching for on. I can't help but think that if a Buddhist was approached with the task of finding one that they might be able to pick one up of the top of their head as they are immersed in the religion and might pick up faster on stereotypes of their own religion. I liked your clip and your discussion of the idea of not wanting things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you bring up a very good point about Buddhism in that a common misconception is that because you are supposed to be detached from this world and all of its worldly, materialistic matter, you are not supposed to ask/want material things. But truth is, in today's time, it's very difficult to be completely detached. Our basic necessities are food, clothing, shelter, etc. We can stop at just the basics, but we end up wanting more: eating out at the high class, fancy restaurants, buying the latest trends in designer wear, and buying a bigger house than the one you already live in. In a world where when you turn on the TV and there are shows about the rich and famous and their high-class lifestyles, it can be difficult to restrict yourself and not want that for yourself. Even detachment from people can go the same way. In my personal opinion, it is impossible for me to be detached from my friends and family. I don't think a person can survive this world, without love and support from others. We need others to be happy, because we aren't the only people living in this world. This is why I feel that it is much easier said than done to be detached from the world. So props to those Buddhists that can accomplish this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you raise an excellent point about the stereotype of detachment. If I were to see this clip before I read your blog, I would have thought that it wasn't a good or bad stereotype. I say this because to me if Buddhist are not supposed to be attached to the world, then why would they need to ask for anything? After reading your blog I think I've changed my perspective. In this lifetime it is hard to segregate and detach oneself from the secular world completely.

    ReplyDelete