Sunday, February 13, 2011

It was hard deciding which aim was more prevalent this week. I almost feel that in American culture, and American music both aims go hand in hand with each other. I feel that liberation from something is success, that one feels successful when they feel liberation. Therefore when I was choosing songs, sometimes it was hard for me to decide whether it would be considered liberation or if it would be considered success. For example, the song that I chose to display for liberation was "The World's Greatest, " by R.Kelly. When I first thought of the song, it made me think of success because it is about him being the world's greatest, but then I started to think about what liberation truly meant. Liberation is suppose to mean being released from the cycle, and in American culture this cycle can be anything, an abusive relationship or poverty. Whatever it may be, I feel that by R.Kelly saying that he was now the 'world's greatest' meant that he had accomplished and achieved whatever he was one struggling at. I also feel that liberation means being set free, therefore being comfortable with who you are, being yourself was also important so that's why I also included the song Video by India Arie, since it talks about being herself. I did not have trouble finding songs for success, however the problem is I feel that it is so far from the success aim that is discussed in Hinduism. The songs that I chose, the definition of success has to do with celebration mostly of having money. However, I feel that the success that Hinduism means is not only about materialistic things. And also when the songs discuss how they are successful with sex, money or obtaining drugs that Hinduism would considered these things successful as well.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you combine both and how they relate to each other. Different people have different definition in regards to success. I feel that people in the pop culture drives off of personal gain for themselves and how big they can be. Some of those artist I feel tend to be more selfish if anything because most of the time thats all they are concerned about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great point. Throughout the week I never once thought about liberation and success being related in any way. I focused on success being money and liberation having to do with freeing oneself from a cycle. After reading your post, I honestly agree that you can view both the same is some ways. For example, with slavery, America became successful with the end of slavery after the civil war which in turn liberated all of the african americans who were 'owned' by other people. Now I view it as hand and hand, it was both a success and african americans were liberated. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post. I also felt the same way about success and liberation falling hand in hand with each other, I actually had written about this in my blog as well. I can appreciate that you have recognized that success is not just fame and money, but I also think that it is not just that for the American pop culture either. You don't have to do a whole lot of research to see that either.

    ReplyDelete